Tuesday, April 22, 2014

On Smiling

Glares can mean a lot of things. I know, I'm a glarer. Notice, in my earlier pictures, that unless I look like an idiot I'm sending a murderous glance at one cameraman. As far as I know, I've never been a picture smiler. Even as a two-year-old, I'd scream "SSMIIIHH-UUUHHLL" while glaring. I don't think I really got this concept of smiling. People were like "oh, you should smile" and I'd just say it back. Smiling is not used to express joy, stupid.

Did you know that smiling at someone in certain villages is considered to be an insult and equivalent to calling someone retarded? Yeah, I didn't, either. So, I don't smile. I either give the "are you fucking serious" glare, or the impatient sigh with pursed lips and rolling eyes, or just refuse to take the picture all together and flick off the camera. Okay, I do the last part in my head. But still.

Smiling is not how I express my joy. I laugh when I'm scared or angry. I'm weird, I know, but I'm not smiling in your pictures.

Stop telling me to.

And yes, I know, I KNOW. I've been told so many times that a fake smile can boost self-esteem. I don't care. I'm not going to, so shut up. When I smile, you know you've done something right.

I apologize for the total randomness and obscurity of this post. Goodnight.

No comments: